This lesson was taught in March 2013 at the baby shower of Missionary Gretchen Masters.
As I began preparing for this lesson, I wanted to discuss with all of you mothers why we should give our children to God. But as I prayed about it, I felt God reminding me that our children already belong to Him. We just need to start acting like it.
As I was giving birth to my first child, Grant, God was teaching me this powerful lesson. My children belong to him. I was reluctant to give birth because my son was so premature. And as I was pushing, I turned to my doctor and asked, “Is he going to live?” She said that she wasn’t sure. And as he was born, I had no choice but to leave him in God’s hands. God was in control. I could do nothing. He belonged to God.
Thankfully, God chose to give my son his life. But I wasn’t done learning this lesson. Over the last 8 years, there have been many times that God has done things in my children’s lives to teach me this amazing truth. These are not my children. They are His.
So I’ve just made a short list of reasons why our children belong to God and then another list of how we can start acting like it.
Reasons why our children belong to God:
- He created them.
- Psalm 139:14, “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”
- You and your husband did not create your child. No human can create something that is eternal.
- God allows us to have a small part in his creation. Don’t take advantage of this privilege by taking ownership of something that doesn’t belong to you.
- He purchased their salvation.
- Hebrews 9:12, “…by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.”
- Not only is He their Creator, but He is also their Saviour, and hopefully their Lord.
- It’s not normal that the creator should have to purchase his own creation, but God did this for us and for our children.
- Example: A dress maker wouldn’t have to buy his dress in a store.
- He sustains them.
- Colossians 1:17, “And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.”
- He gives them every beat of their heart and every breath they take.
- We mothers do not keep our children alive. God does.
It’s not about GIVING our children to God. It’s about RECOGNIZING that they already belong to Him, and to start acting like it.
This is a higher motivation for training and disciplining them. We might be careless at times with our own possessions (new clothes get old over time), but if we love God, we won’t want to be careless with His possessions.
How to Act Like Your Children Belong to God:
- Develop their character. You are training them to be a “soldier of Jesus Christ.”
- Teach them to obey. The way they obey you now is how they will obey God later.
- Stop worrying about them. Trust God for their safety and their future and their health.