2 Thessalonians 3:1 “Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you.”
As we travel on deputation, we make a plea to everyone we meet: “Please pray for us!” However, I find that as I pray for missionaries around the world, I don’t always know exactly what to pray for. I find myself simply listing their names and praying that God will bless them and their ministry, but I want to do more. I want to be able to pray for their specific needs, but what do I look for? How do I know they need prayer in a certain area?
Missionary families are a lot easier to keep up with now, through facebook and other social media, and I am so thankful for these tools we can use when we pray for our missionaries world-wide.
1. The Missionary Family- Are they busy? Are they sick? Is there a big church event they are planning? Will they be away from their family for holidays? Are they traveling? Are they trying to get things packed and ready to go to the field? Pay attention to these things. Although probably mentioned briefly, they are a big deal in the lives of these missionaries.
2. Family Members in the States- This one often goes by without thinking. I am very guilty of it. It came to my attention recently, when a friend of mine was not able to be with his father on the day of a surgery, and another was not able to be with her mother while she received news of cancer. Let’s remember to pray for their family while they are away and for the missionaries as they are separated from their loved ones in these trials.
3. Wisdom- Missionaries face difficult decisions everyday. These may not be public decisions, and so we must remember to pray for wisdom for them on a daily basis.
4. Ministry Needs- Colossians 4:3-4 says “Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.” It is the missionary’s burden to share with the people in their country the gospel, and see souls saved and lives changed. We can always remember to pray for this need. Also, any ‘big day’ at their church will need much prayer.
5. Rejoicing With Them- It is so awesome to see God work around the world! Remember to always thank and praise Him for the mighty works being done! Look for those posts and newsletters about baptisms and church buildings and souls saved!!!
Have a great day, and thank you for your prayers!!!!